Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Perspectives on 2.0

I didn't particularly like the video "The Machine is Us/ing Us" because it tried to make Web 2.0 all about the code and tags. That is not what Web 2.0 is about. Web 2.0 is about connection. Most people probably stopped the video when it started on HTML.

It was interesting to read in "Away from Icebergs" about the end of the "just in case" theory of libraries considering I wrote a paper against that library model 15 years ago. I guess I was ahead of my time.

It's good that librarians and library systems are trying to learn about this stuff. We need to move along with society to stay relevant. Teens tell me that I need to be on myspace or facebook in order to communicate with them. They do not check an "email address". They check for messages on myspace. My niece spends all of her time texting, using IM and checking her myspace. I stay current with her life by doing the same things. Libraries need to be willing to use these same things to reach the teens in their area. A bulletin post on myspace(assuming you get the teens to add you) will reach many more teens than a blurb in the paper or in a library newsletter. IM reference services will help more teens than librarians behind a desk even if those teens are in the library. It is especially helpful to those teens who are too shy to approach the desk in person.

I hope this training leads to more than just HCL knowing what the customers are doing. I hope it leads to HCL using Web 2.0 along with the customers in a way that is beneficial to both sides.

No comments: